Header Ads Widget

Advertise with us

Highlights

10/recent/ticker-posts

My first year in Oba Àwọn UNIVERSITY.

My first year in Oba Awon University (OAU)

It was my fresh year, New to everything; new to the system, the people, the community, new to the academics, new to ile-ife, new to osun state, new to university, new to alot. I was bound to be a resident citizen of osun state.
All these young lads be like sir! sir!  😄. In my mind, I'm like I am not comfortable with all these sirs you've labelled me with, but I wouldn't tell them this to avoid over familiarity. Well, my name is Ipadeola Glory Ayomide, a Part 2 student of the prestigious department of Management and Accounting, Faculty of Administration, OAU, running for Bsc. Accounting program. This account is a personal account, one that depicts my personal experiences and I believe it would help you, even if you're not a fresher, or you're not an OAU student. Just enjoy the ride! Freshers and non-freshers and OAU Students and non-OAU students alike. You may find this helpful.

Flashback to 2017...
I wrote UTME, scored 260. I had distinctions in my WASSCE and I was opting for Bsc. Accounting. Admission process was going well and smooth until the news broke. The news that I had lost my admission! Wow! it was heartbreaking. I had met requirements for admission, and with my scores, I was able to secure admission. Unfortunately, it was a case of WRONG JAMB SUBJECT COMBINATION. For a tip, the right subject combination for BSC. Accounting in OAU and many other universities is (Use of English, Mathematics, Accounting/Geography/Government, Economics). I opted for Use of English, Mathematics, Economics and Commerce. It was a wrong combination!
That experience helped build me and it went a long way into my life. It would have been tragic if I had wasted a whole year doing nothing. I had enrolled for the ICAN/ATS examination. An accounting oriented program which on completion, you're awarded an AAT certificate as an Accounting Technician. Well, for the records, I've bagged my AAT! 😎 (I'd talk on this later on). It built Competence and confidence in me and my knowledge of Accounting. My eyes were open to several things which many had not. Apart from the ATS program, I had to write GCE of January/February, not because I failed any subject in my WASSCE, but because of this same subject combination issue. We didn't want any issue of no government or geography in my WAEC and stuffs like that. So, let me just say it was to fulfill all righteousness.
Now to 2018. I took JAMB again, OAU, Bsc. Accounting. The dates for the JAMB almost clashed with my ATS 1 exam. Unfortunately, It affected some of my friends. Well, I wrote the JAMB and results came out a day to ATS exam.
It was good, thanks to God. I scored 305 out of 400. At least, I had rest of mind in preparation for my ATS exam. Wrote the ATS 1 exam and passed also.
Admission processing started while I was preparing for my ATS 2 exam. Already, I had written 3 exams that year (UTME, GCE and ATS 1). Preparing for the fourth. But you see, This is not about my ATS Journey, but my first year. So, we continue this story some other time.
Back to the admission process. I was admitted and all. I was already a student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Oba Awon University, Ogba Femi!
The fresh days are still fresh in my head, like this morning's bread (you feeling my lines right? 😂😂). They are still as though it was this morning it all played out.
While in the process of paying fees and all, I was unable to get bed space on campus. So, I had no space on campus. Coming from off campus, off-k, as we were fond of calling it, was stressful, especially in our first week. We had to wake up early to deal with registrations and all. Library, Health centre, Faculty, departmental and all. Coming even as early as 7pm, you'd meet a long queue waiting to register. Even with the fact that you're on the queue, you're still not assured registration. So that week was so stressful. We did all those alongside orientation and ICT training. We were paying for this and that, all around. It was exhausting! So, to every fresher reading this, know that that week will be stressful. So, plan your time and life well, so as not to loose. In my own time, I was strategic with all of this, despite my stay off-k.
For the health centre which started on Tuesday, the first week of resumption, I didn't partake of it at that time. I observed that there were always many freshers rushing for this registration. Some even as early as 5 am are there to line up. So, I did not bother myself with health center registration while  it was on for that week. Looking at it, so many had been there so early and would get tired of it by the third week. So I planned, that I'd do mine by the third week, before the four weeks of grace had elapsed. But to my surprise, all the rush had subdued by mid of 2nd week, because library registration just started on the 2nd week, which everyone wanted to do as well. So, I did my Health centre registration on Friday the end of the second week. I was done!
For the library registration, I did that on the third week, while the rush was still hot. But I got there early enough and did all I needed to do on time.
For the faculty and departmental registration, it was a whole bunch of stress. I did mine and was relieved.
While the first week, orientation week was on, I had partaken of the ICT training, so as not to waste my time lining up or wasting my time doing nothing - A gain on my intellect and experience. That was it for that period. It was now time for lectures.
Lectures started, but scarcely. Because of courses where we had a large number. Like SSC 105, where we had to split our selves. It was offered by those in Social science and Administration (with exception of International relations who would take it in part 2 - 200 level.), SER 001 and LIB 001, for every fresher was a must. My departmental courses did not start on time. So, I was left to start with only Philosophy and Sociology. Things were going smoothly with all these fresh vibes and stress.
 As freshers, there were always this Catch Them Young Programme organised for us by fellowships, churches, MSSN, and other societies. This was done so as to breed the freshers from an early age. It was an engaging experience. You'd decide which fellowships to attend or which churches to attend. You decide which clubs, societies and associations to join. You have to make decisions quickly and smartly. They would go a long way in your stay as a student of Oba àwọn UNIVERSITY.
On religious grounds. I have been a member of RCCG from birth. So, I attended the redeemed church, Kings' Court. I also attended the Redeemed Christian Fellowship (RCF), both under RCCG.
I remember my first church experiences 😂😂😂. I attended Kings' Court, then after the service with all the introduction an all, I pushed to All souls chapel. A lecturer had told us about it, He said it was inter-denominational. On getting there, I was shocked. The chairs showed an orthodox church, which I feel is ceremonial and too quiet. I entered, joined to service. Towards the end of the service, an announcement was passed that if anyone wants to learn any musical instrument, he/she should wait behind. He/She was to be taught for free! With my passion for music, musical instruments and as a player, I decided to wait. They collected our names and all... During the week, I was asked if I would love to join the church praise team (mhen 😂😂, I was shocked). It was a lovely idea, but it wasn't my church, I was not willing to join another mission. I was an instrumentalist (well I'm still one), quite alright. One thing I've learnt from my experiences is that - as an instrumentalist, the more you play, the more stages you play, the better you become. Even with that knowledge, I wasn't willing to join another church like that. They sang well, the instruments were on point, the instrumentalists were good. It was a nice one. Elderly ones who embraced me as a friend. They were good at family. Thanks to God for meeting those people. It was a decisive moment.
But never forget, God must be first in all your affairs. Be wise with your decisions and involve God.
NUASA Family
The Nigeria Universities Accounting Students' Association was family.
Lizards nodding their heads, running with legs and bellies, in their different colours. Sand diggers beneath, doing their job. The beautiful flowers shining, while the sun was scorching. People chattering all about. Smiles and laughs, shouts and grins. The one I loved the most was the sound of GEE!!! 😂😂😂. This was a perfect description of the basement. The faculty of administration basement. We all loved this place. It was a multi purpose environment 😂😂. For party, for meeting, for talk talk, for anything. You'd meet alot of characters there. I feel NUASA owned that basement, it was just for us. The Department of Management and Accounting, NUASA was a fabric of family and friends. They were geees 🤗!
Well, where do I start from? Those guys love politics, they too Sabi book, they get talent and skills. They are a whole bunch of vibess!
The family that we are love each other and we cherish each other. They built alot of things in me. Politics, friendships, leadership, and many more. If you're coming in to Accounting, you'd enjoy this family and for us already in, we understand all these.
POLITICS
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I Laugh, because I remember my first and only political Experience (for now though). It was maddd! (like everyone would say).b Campaign was lit. Moving up and down and showing Vote Gee, Vote Gee, giving them some lines. It was real fun. I would get to the basement, and hear cheers of Gee. It was a very happy moment. A day to the elections, I realised I may not have gathered votes. So, I told the other candidates what really bothered me: "It's not a problem if I don't win. But it's a problem if this turns out to low votes. E go pain me". When I said it, it was a laughing matter, but it was the truth. Well, election day came, and I did not win as expected. And yes, I got low votes 😂😂😂. I just laughed the situation off, it's something we still laugh about today. This was first semester, not up to a month as a freshman.

Yes, you'd need to know the grading system. OAU uses a five-point grading system. Meaning, your GP/CGPA is over 5.0. So, let's start with grades.
A- 70-100
B- 60-69
C- 50-59
D- 45-49
E- 40-44
F- 0-39
So, for every A it's a 5 point.
You'd be taught how to calculate your GP on coming to OAU. You can also download a CGPA calculator on Play store/App store.

Well, I've been able to build myself within one year. I've been able to help myself and become more valuable. OAU taught me alot of things. I would also love to use this platform also, to teach you. As a student, you have a primary aim of Academics, and you need to make your grades gallant. As a Christian, you have a primary aim of preaching the gospel and male people hear about Christ. Where am I going to? Make sure God is first in your life. Make sure he's involved in every decision and organisations you join. Make sure you develop your self spiritually and you're in line with God's wants. This sets a good background for your Academics. You can try build your Academics without God, but there may be problems. One with God is with grace. Your Academics should also be a top priority. Ensure you are hardworking and focused. Your CGPA will be smiling 😂. Its a beautiful phenomenon. "Read like you don't serve God, serve God like you'd never read." A balance will come from this.
As a freshman, be a serious student and always keep off from being boring. Have ethical and decent fun.
Concerning Academics, this is my advice:
• Be time conscious and be strict with it.
• Every valueless activity must never interfere with your Academic Plans.
• Don't be late for classes.
• Be 100% attentive in class
• Never turn your class room to a comedy room, distracting others and yourself.
• Shun any agent of distraction.
• Prepare your daily plans/schedule, make up a plan for each day. Never let it be far from you, you can deal with it better that way.
• GOD is always involved.
• Never assume that you know it already.
• Act/Learn like it's new and be very attentive.
• Teach all you know, and be ready to learn more.
• Have a functional reading time table:
It is functional be cause it must be followed and must be effective; It should have convenient periods and timings; It should be based on your plans for the week; It should be feasible and very realistic. Your time table is a must follow. It would help build you, make you more principled.
As a student, you need to have goals and targets. You need to have aims and objectives.
It's always a common mentality among freshers that A is always possible and easy. True it's possible, but not as easy as said. "Since A is 70, test is 40 and exam is 60. I'd work hard to get above 30 in the test and you will not tell me that I cannot get 40 in exam". 😂😂😂 It sounds so easy, but in reality, it's not so easy. Well, it's an optimistic view, but also a myopic one. So, still on setting targets. For each semester, set you targets, your wishes, your wants. Is it 5.0 I want? Is it 4.5 I want? Is it 3.9 I want? Have a target and work towards it. For each course have targets and how to achieve them. Be strategic, tactical and operational. Strategic, set long term targets. Tactical, targets lower than the strategic,  dances to the same tune it dances to. Operational, work it out... Be inspired and work hard.
As a student in OAU, TIME, DISCIPLINE and PRINCIPLES are the most important virtues a student must possess.
You should also learn that you're not into a competition with anyone. Do your best and your effort and the grace of God will do the rest.
OAU also tests three things. Intelligent quotient, Emotional Intelligence/Quotient and Social Quotient. Intelligent quotient deals with how well you use your intellect and your Academics. How you can keep good grades in university. Emotional intelligence/Quotient is the measure of how well you know your self. How you react to Different situations. How you react to News. There are many things involved in Emotional Intelligence. It is a must have for all students. You should know the best time and periods for your activities. The best time for you to read, the best time for you to play. Its how well you understand yourself. A philosopher once said: "Know thyself. A life not well examined is not worth living at all". Be original and don't copy people's styles and behaviour. Its part of Emotional Intelligence.
Social Quotient is the measure of your social interaction. How well are you able to relate with your fellow? How well can you connect and interact. Its very important. All these tests are all interwoven, and you need to learn them.

There are so many things to say about OAU. But you see, there's always STRESS involved. You'd be stressed so hard, you would not know the source. Especially freshers. Just keep being cool.
You should also keep friends and be happy. Keep good friends. There are so many things you need to know. You will learn them when you get in.
Keep soaring. Welcome to OBA AWON UNIVERSITY, OGBA FEMI!!!



Post a Comment

29 Comments

  1. Nice a write up bro...Greater heights sir.
    ATP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This write up is awesome. It lacks no qualities for a proper comkunicacomm. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
    Lessons learnt 😊
    .......ATP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee!!!!
    God will continue to help you... Nice write-up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give this a five star rating ♥️ I hope and pray it won't be as stressful for me as it was for you😩 And I hope I get a bedspace😩 Thank you Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!
      I hope it will not be so stressful.
      You'd surely do.

      Delete
  5. Professor Gee.
    It's big my brother, cool, fantastic 😂😁😁...I've started imagining the stress I'm gonna face too😥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one Gee boss��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This is great man. Nice write up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the reviews. I really appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep it up sweetie
    It's really good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gee...Gee... Nice piece. You wrote from your heart cause it captured all the moment. You have done well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely write up. Professor Gee you are an inspiration to this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 👏🏽👏🏽Weldone Sir. Very good writeup for those coming in. OAU is a place where there are a lot of opportunities. Tread wisely

    ReplyDelete
  13. Philosopher😏

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really put thoughts behind your words, as always. PGlo

    God will continue what he has started.

    Thanks for the multiple headsup🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! 😇