Header Ads Widget

Advertise with us

Highlights

10/recent/ticker-posts

How to make New Year Resolutions and Stick to them


I think when it comes to New Year Resolutions, many people flunk out shortly after making them. I could be guilty in some regard too, but overall, I think I always stick to my word with about 70% of my resolutions.

The year is still new (just 49 days gone and 316 days or so to go), and as usual, people have started forgetting about their New Year Resolutions. Don't be like that, don't sweep them under the carpet, because there's a way out.

Well, in this my short speech, I will be sharing tips on how I stand by my resolutions all year long, and how you can too. Follow me!

1. My year doesn't start January 1

Yes, I meant that. Well, unlike most people, my year begins in December. Why? When most people are planning to implement their resolutions on January 1, I have begun in December. 

I use December to test the waters. I use December to practice new habits, learn new routines and prepare. All year, I would have taken note of habits I have to learn, unlearn or relearn; skills I need to learn; books I need to read; people I need to meet; things I need to do, to get better at whatever it is that I do. 

Let's say one of plans for the new year is to be an employer of labour, I would have start practicing how to go about it in December. I will act like it, feel like it. And if it's something I see will not work out, then maybe next time. I'm probably not ripe for that yet.

I basically use December as rehearsal. To what end? Well, it prepares my mind for the new year. When most people are entering the year with fresh resolutions they want to try out, I am sure of what I want to achieve. Let's say the plan to become a boss in 2023 stands, I will not be starting 2023 trying to figure out what I need to do, and how I get to balance out. 

Most people will still be trying to figure it out, and they get burnt out that they just can't keep up with their resolution. While Gee on the other hand is handling it fine. By the time I am in 2023, the boss mentality is not a strange thought, I can feel it, see it, think it. I am already immersed in my resolutions that I am almost incapable of struggling with them. 

Even if it gets frustrating in December, I try to follow through because I am using it as a test phase. If at the end of December it doesn't work out, then it's definitely not going to be part of my plans for 2023.

Start ahead and stay ahead. Instead of struggling the more, use the second half of February as your lab rat. It's kind of still fresh (there's still 316 days to go). You should also learn how best to hack your habits, so that you'd make the most out of it.

2. What motivates your resolutions?

Yes! Why do you have your resolutions? You have a long list of New Year Resolutions, there should be a reason for each of them. If my resolution is to read 100 books in 2023, it should not be for the fun of it, or to mark register. There has to be a reason why. 

If I have such a resolution, then the reason for it will be to be a better person, become more knowledgeable, to grow, to develop myself. If it is for the glam of it, then it won't do me any good. If it gets tough along the way, chances are that I will give up because it's just one 'random' resolution. What difference does it make if I just stop? Nothing changes, nothing spoil.

For every of your new year resolutions, make sure there is a reason. Your New Year Resolutions should be *purpose driven*, not just results driven. Even if you cannot meet up to that number, the fact that there's a reason will keep you going, and no doubt, you will learn, and become better.

Now, let's assume you were able to meet up with the goal of 200 books even without having a reason, it's no better than someone who couldn't meet up (maybe 146 books), but had a reason. Why? 200 books with no reason is just results, which is tasteless, purposeless, useless, and just ego feeding. At the end of the journey, you wouldn't have learnt anything significant. You would have just been involved in activities - Basically.

For the other person who's had a purpose for reading 200 books, he will take every book seriously to learn from it. He will be more knowledgeable by the end of the year. Regardless of whether he reaches his goals or not, he is a better person. The goal is not to achieve all your resolutions to perfection, but to make the best out of the new year.

How about you give your resolutions purpose? Draw them from under the carpet, have a rethink. Am I just playing or do I really have to achieve this goal? Be intentional about it. 

3. When do you write up your resolutions?

Time is really important when coming up with new year resolutions. I mean, do you wait till the end of the year before you start putting your New Year Resolutions together? Or even wait till 2023 clicks before you start working on it? 

Well, it really matters, and sometimes it doesn't matter. Let's start with why it matters. 

When you write your resolutions early, you begin to think in line with it early. I mean, your mind is way prepared and ready to start accomplishing your goals. If you wrote your resolutions let's say January 1st, and your resolutions are supposed to begin January 1st, you'd find your self unbalanced, unready, on pressure, and everything you don't want.

And sometimes, it doesn't matter. Especially when you don't even write at all. It dwells in your consciousness, and you work with it. Just make sure you're getting better, developing your self, and you're an upgrade of who you were yesterday. But I won't advise this if you want to make significant impact or progress.

I will advise that at a time like this, you write them out. Don't keep a mental resolution. Keep it real. Let it remind you. Read it everyday. Remind yourself of what you have to achieve. You shouldn't be wasting more time than you might have already done, so take it serious. Write...It...Down!

4. Have an anchor resolution

In 2022, of course, starting from 2021 December, I was resolved to focus solely or majorly on building my Content Writing career. This resolution made way for other resolutions. So every of my other resolutions were hinged on this: The books I read, the places I went, the jobs I took, the people I spoke to, the manner in which I behaved, and everything I did. 

When you have an anchor resolution, every other resolution will follow suit. For instance, if my anchor resolution for 2023 is 'Wickedness', every of my resolutions will be hinged on this wickedness

If your anchor resolution is to build yourself, that is, work on personal development, then part of your new year resolutions will be to follow up with Glory Speaks, both here and on social media (Twitter and Instagram). You will follow our book recommendations and reviews, our blog posts, and everything we do. Another of your resolutions can be to be more self disciplined or even hack habits better.

That's what an anchor resolution does. It gives your other resolutions clarity. With an anchor resolution, every other resolution falls into place. You don't have to struggle, because your resolutions are all aligned and linked, and are connected to the anchor resolution. 

What is your anchor resolution? What ties all your resolutions together. Do you want to be like me? Wicked... Or you have a better idea?

Don't struggle? What particular goal do you want to have achieved by the end of the year? What's that burning desire you have? Pick that goal, make it your anchor resolution, and watch other resolutions align.

5. Any accountability?

One part of the resolution process that makes you stick till the end is when you're accountable for the resolutions you've made. Are you accountable?

Who knows of your resolutions? Who's checking on you if you meet up or not? Because of the absence of accountability, many people can easily dispose off difficult resolutions. Of course, no consequence. You can share some of your resolutions with people that care, matter, and would want you to achieve them. It helps you achieve what you want faster, and of course, at the end of the day, you are better.

The reason you may have given up on your resolutions is because you're not accountable to anyone. No one knows what's going on. No one is checking you. Nothing. You just set sail to an island all by yourself! Be accountable to people and yourself.

Self accountability is a thing too. Besides just sharing with people and being accountable to them, you also need to be accountable to yourself. There's this quote I love, but I can't remember who came up with it. Let me paraphrase:
"All forms of deceit are forgivable, but the deceit to oneself is unforgivable".

You can deceive everybody, but you shouldn't deceive yourself. Deceiving other people is forgivable, but deceiving yourself is not.

Most times, we can't really deceive ourselves, but sometimes we do, especially because we don't want to come to terms with the reality of things. While you have an external compass to guide you, it is also important that you have an internal compass. Stay true to yourself. Are you doing the right thing? Are you doing what you're supposed to do? Do what's right, and tell yourself the truth, because at the end of the day, you'd be shooting yourself on the leg!

49 days have gone by, it's time to re-evaluate. How far? What's going on? How can I do better with the remaining 316 days? Check it, accountability.

6. See beyond one year 

What makes your resolutions work is when you have somewhere you're going. Let's say you want to start a company this year, of course, the result will be that you'd start it, and it's probably fine that way. But how about you see beyond a year? Instead of just seeing the business come to life, why not see it in 5 years, solving problems, scaling and getting bigger? With this vision, you will put your all into starting the business, and making it work, especially because there's so much purpose to fulfill.

Paint the big picture! See beyond. What will achieving this resolution do for you in years to come? Is it really important? Is it relevant? Will it shape or shake my life? Or will it make or mar my life? Paint it, see beyond, imagine it. Don't limit your resolutions to one year. 

The beauty of this is that you might find out that there are some of your resolutions that won't factor in the big picture, hence will just be you indulging in wasted activity.

See every resolution as a step forward...

What you should do now

Well, the year is fast gone. January is gone, and February is halfway gone, but the year is not. Instead of just living day to day with nothing driving you, have a purpose, a reason to keep each day going. Have the intention of getting better each day. I mean, better than you were yesterday. And mind you, I'm not saying this is the time for you to start making resolutions. Be productive, make this year count. 

If you have forgotten about your new year resolutions or it seems you're losing sight of it, then this is a good time to rethink and review them. Write them out, visualize them, spend time figuring it out, seeing if they actually fit. Go through every tip and tie them together.
Most importantly, be resolved to keep to your resolutions and don't deceive yourself. Take action! Or else, all of this is a waste of my time.

Anything I missed out? let me know in the comments box. I would really love to hear your thoughts on this too.

Till next time,
Gee!

Post a Comment

0 Comments